Kyrgyzstan has a significant social problem in the area of marriage. About 40% of the brides in Kyrgyzstan are simply kidnapped and married by force. This is a tribal custom from many generations ago. Young women are abducted just about anywhere or anytime.
In most cases the young girls do not consent to the kidnapping. Some give their consent to avoid difficulties, others genuinely decide to simply accept their “destiny”, their families are invited and a marriage takes place. Many girls stay with their new husband but others seek to escape, a minority of young women commit suicide. The psychological trauma is significant.
- Many Kyrgyz Muslims are involved in seeking to change this situation by various means. Ask God to bring the Kyrgyz people to a real heart change in this area.
- Ask the Lord to bring further revelation to the Kyrgyz people about the true nature and meaning of marriage. (Ephesians 5:21-33)
- Ask that God will reveal Himself as a trustworthy Father to these young girls.
- Pray for healing for those who have suffered trauma and physical abuse.
- Pray that both young men and women will find Jesus Christ as Saviour and surrender their lives to Him.